Author Topic: Correctional officer arrested 9/7/2012  (Read 5206 times)

Offline seaman

• View Profile
Correctional officer arrested 9/7/2012
« on: September 19, 2012, 03:06:18 PM »
What is the deal with the sheriffs dept employee arrested on sexual misconduct, How could they let it o on for so long before arresting him?

September 7, 2012
Detention center correctional officer charged with misconduct
Rawlings man allegedly engaged in sexual contact with inmate

From Staff Reports
Cumberland Times-News

CRESAPTOWN — A correctional officer of the Allegany County Sheriff’s Office was arrested Friday on charges that he allegedly engaged in sexual contact with a female inmate at the county detention center.

Investigators with C3I arrested 41-year-old Steven Andrew Hart of Rawlings on multiple counts of sexual conduct between a correctional employee and inmate, fourth-degree sex offense, second-degree assault and indecent exposure.

Hart was taken before a district court commissioner and was released on personal recognizance pending his next court appearance.

The charges are the result of a joint investigation by the Allegany County Sheriff’s Office and C3I.

Court records indicated the alleged offenses occurred between June and August.

According to Sheriff Craig Robertson, Hart has been placed on administrative suspension pending the outcome of further court proceedings.

Offline -jimmy z-

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Correctional officer arrested 9/7/2012
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2012, 03:15:07 PM »
What is the deal with the sheriffs dept employee arrested on sexual misconduct, How could they let it o on for so long before arresting him?
September 7, 2012

From Staff Reports
Cumberland Times-News

CRESAPTOWN — A correctional officer of the Allegany County Sheriff’s Office was arrested Friday on charges that he allegedly engaged in sexual contact with a female inmate at the county detention center.

Investigators with C3I arrested 41-year-old Steven Andrew Hart of Rawlings on multiple counts of sexual conduct between a correctional employee and inmate, fourth-degree sex offense, second-degree assault and indecent exposure.

Hart was taken before a district court commissioner and was released on personal recognizance pending his next court appearance.

The charges are the result of a joint investigation by the Allegany County Sheriff’s Office and C3I.

According to Sheriff Craig Robertson, Hart has been placed on administrative suspension pending the outcome of further court proceedings.

What do you mean "let it go on"?
The inmate didn't make the accusation until after she was released.  When she did, he was brought in and suspended.  Honestly, the investigation is still ongoing. 

« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 03:18:31 PM by -jimmy z- »
Often imitated, never duplicated.

Offline seaman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2012, 03:18:29 PM »
Was he caught on camera? I thought every areas in the jail was under surveillance.

Offline -jimmy z-

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2012, 03:19:19 PM »
Was he caught on camera? I thought every areas in the jail was under surveillance.

No, she is claiming this occurred in areas not under surveillance.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 03:22:48 PM by -jimmy z- »

Offline seaman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2012, 03:23:42 PM »
And they are believing an inmate over an officer? Can they make them take a lie detector test?

Offline -jimmy z-

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2012, 03:25:35 PM »
And they are believing an inmate over an officer? Can they make them take a lie detector test?

Can't really make anyone take one.  But, it's still being investigated, so I'm not sure what all is going on with the investigation or what should be made public. 

Candidate

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2012, 04:15:24 PM »

Can't really make anyone take one.  But, it's still being investigated, so I'm not sure what all is going on with the investigation or what should be made public.

Do they typically suspend a CO based on an accusation?

Offline -jimmy z-

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2012, 07:08:25 PM »
Usually when there's an accusation the C.O. would be put on some sort of leave depending on what the complaint is.  I'm not sure what he told investigators to have it move forward like it has.

Offline seaman

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2012, 07:27:22 PM »
wonder if he was suspended with pay?
« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 07:30:41 PM by seaman »

Offline -jimmy z-

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2012, 07:47:32 PM »
wonder if he was suspended with pay?

No pay

Candidate

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2012, 08:08:47 PM »
Usually when there's an accusation the C.O. would be put on some sort of leave depending on what the complaint is.  I'm not sure what he told investigators to have it move forward like it has.

Going by the Sheriff's post on FB about it, and the fact he was suspended without pay, I'd lean towards him giving some sort of statement admitting to sexual contact with the inmate. Either way, it's plain stupid to get involved like that with an inmate, and I am glad they handled it the way they did.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 04:19:41 PM by Tim »

Offline Quest

• I love Western Maryland!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2012, 10:09:49 PM »

Whatever was he thinking to fool around with an inmate ????

He evidently wasn't "thinking" with his brain !

Offline seaman

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2012, 12:04:37 PM »
I noticed on md judiciary case search, he has a trial on 11/26/12

Offline seaman

• View Profile
correctional officer sex offence
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2013, 04:20:02 PM »
I noticed they decided not to prosecute this man. Did he get his job back also?

September 7, 2012

From Staff Reports
Cumberland Times-News

Offline -jimmy z-

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2013, 03:53:07 PM »
It was a he said she said case. She said he did, he said he didn't.  No other evidence. No other witnesses.

Offline JayBee

• Mentor
  • I Love what Freedom I have left!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2013, 06:04:48 PM »

Police may pressure you into it, and you may do it voluntary, but they can't make you.  It isn't admissable in court the last time I checked, but can drive which way an investigator goes (or if they continue to investigate).

It wouldn't be surprising if the officer refused, or the inmate volunteered, to take one and that's part of why it's moving forward.  (Especially considering it's leave w/o pay, right?)

There's a possibility both refused and that there's just other compelling evidence for reasonable suspicion, but I would assume that the lie dector test came up some time by now. 
Economics 101: You can't have everything you want :(

Obama Politics 101: Convince people that they can have whatever it is that they want :D

Offline formerlocal

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2013, 08:47:56 AM »
Let me preface by saying I don't at all agree with the alleged behavior we're discussing here. However, I question why this man is being prosecuted when it's probably that this kind of behavior does happen from time to time and not everyone is (prosecuted).

I know of a female who was a correctional officer at the prison up until a couple years ago. It was discovered she was entertaining relationships with an inmate, possibly more than one, of a romantic nature. As I recall, I believe it was discovered when security picked up on letters coming into and out of the facility between she and an inmate. She was fired. That was that. No charges filed, etc.

Online purplepride

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2013, 12:47:46 PM »
Maybe each government organization handles it differently? Sounds like in the case you mentioned,there was proof(letters). Was there any proof in the County situation?
~ 2012 Super Bowl Champions ~
          ~~ Baltimore  Ravens!!~~