Author Topic: Police united in support for law to ban synthetic drugs  (Read 3419 times)

Offline ace123

• View Profile
Police united in support for law to ban synthetic drugs
« on: August 23, 2012, 11:11:36 PM »
From The Cumberland Times News:

August 23, 2012
Police united in support for law to ban synthetic drugs

County commissioners plan to hold hearing, must vote before ordinance goes into effect

Matthew Bieniek Cumberland Times-News

CUMBERLAND — A local law designed to ban the manufacture, sale or possession of some synthetic drugs was introduced at Thursday’s Allegany County Commission meeting.

“It’s kind of scary, what some of these kids are getting involved with,” said Allegany County Sheriff Craig Robertson, who spoke in support of the legislation. Robertson was joined at the meeting by Cumberland Police Chief Charles Hinnant and Capt. James Pyles of the Maryland State Police. Robertson said the two joined him to show that law enforcement in Allegany County was unified on the issue.

Commissioners plan a hearing on the proposed law next week. Commissioners must vote before it takes effect. However, since the law is considered an emergency measure, it would be in force as soon as it is passed by commissioners.

Penalties for violation of the law would be up to six months in jail and/or a $1,000 fine.

Robertson has been concerned about synthetic drugs for some times and hopes the law will help local law enforcement crack down on their use.

The five-page law includes about two full pages specifying certain chemicals and chemical compounds that are banned. If you try to read it, you might be sent running to your high school chemistry textbook, unless you already know what methoxynaphthoy means. But the chemicals pack a potent and dangerous punch, whether they’re called synthetic marijuana or spice.

Many of the drugs come in tea bag-size packets and small vials about the size of a long thimble. They contain a mixture of herbs and chemicals and are labeled “not for human consumption.” The drugs can cause medical and psychological problems including cardiac disturbances, agitation, delirium, paranoia and psychosis.

The proposed county law was drafted by County Attorney Bill Rudd, who modeled the law after one in Ocean City. The law, by broadening the chemicals and chemical structures banned, will help law enforcement with a problem. That problem is that manufacturers will  stay one step ahead of the laws by slightly changing the chemicals in their products.

Delegate Kevin Kelly was an early advocate for a move like the one planned by the county. He had proposed that leaders consider adopting an emergency ordinance similar to one in Ocean City that has “dramatically reduced the sale and possession of bath salts there.”

“On this, we have the ability to shut these shops down. If there is a shop in your jurisdiction and they are selling this stuff, shut it down. If you have the ordinances in place, you can shut them down,” Kelly told the Times-News for a previous story.

Contact Matthew Bieniek at mbieniek@times-news.com. Staff writers Jeffrey Alderton and Kristin Harty Barkley contributed to this story.

Offline Revolution

• View Profile
Re: Police united in support for law to ban synthetic drugs
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2012, 12:09:24 AM »
Sit at the light @ Warrior Dr. and 220 and watch the winners go into the old Porters Pond store.

There are other ways of "shutting down" this type of activity while waiting for a law or ordinance.
Have a marked car sit there and run license plates, sure to find a few people with outstanding warrants. Having a cruiser sitting there might make some people pull into Sheetz to turn around and go home.

Candidate

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2012, 01:23:09 AM »
Sit at the light @ Warrior Dr. and 220 and watch the winners go into the old Porters Pond store.

There are other ways of "shutting down" this type of activity while waiting for a law or ordinance.
Have a marked car sit there and run license plates, sure to find a few people with outstanding warrants. Having a cruiser sitting there might make some people pull into Sheetz to turn around and go home.

Aren't they the same people who owned Emericks sub shop? Also, I don't believe they are the same owners of puff n stuff, because based on their facebook page, they (puff n stuff) also have a store in Lavale on National HWY.

Candidate

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2012, 01:23:57 AM »
Also, I wonder if the owners of these stores will show up at the meeting next week in protest of this law?

Offline ace123

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2012, 02:29:31 AM »
Puff n Stuff is owned by Traci and Charlie Casey.  Emericks and the store in Cresaptown is run by Kasi Sechler-Emerick.

Offline midlife crisis

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2012, 02:22:59 PM »
Is Kasi Sechler related to the Sechler family who once had a cell phone store in Burton's Plaza?

Candidate

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2012, 03:56:14 PM »
Emericks and the store in Cresaptown is run by Kasi Sechler-Emerick.

When they had the sub shop, they made more from K2/spice sales than from subs.

Offline John Michael Davis

• The yellow roses
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2012, 05:57:39 PM »
Emericks and the store in Cresaptown is run by Kasi Sechler-Emerick.

When they had the sub shop, they made more from K2/spice sales than from subs.

Then they got ran out of Cumberland.
I love the nightlife.

Offline traci casey

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2012, 09:35:34 PM »
Also, I wonder if the owners of these stores will show up at the meeting next week in protest of this law?
well of course we will and i have a petition with a little over 800 names on it

Candidate

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2012, 09:49:11 PM »

What does the petition say, and what is it about? Also, I wouldn't bring any product samples to the meeting.

Offline Revolution

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2012, 10:11:54 PM »

Drugs that are not sold by big pharma are not generally accepted. Convicts are unable to vote. Do you think elected officials are going to care about these 800 names in this overly conservative county? Oh yes they will care, you will hand them a list of people likely to be found in possession once the law or mandate is passed.

Offline JayBee

• Mentor
  • I Love what Freedom I have left!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2012, 10:16:45 PM »

What does the petition say, and what is it about? Also, I wouldn't bring any product samples to the meeting.

I thought businesses provided free samples when they wanted gov't favor, no?  Lol, maybe they'd let the owners show the legit use of their products.
Economics 101: You can't have everything you want :(

Obama Politics 101: Convince people that they can have whatever it is that they want :D

Candidate

« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2012, 11:20:29 PM »
It should be an interesting meeting.

Offline rokkinroll

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2012, 02:50:00 AM »
If anyone is interested in establishing a list of thee business and owners,
I would like to do ths with a few folks,
as I think it may be a useful tool.

Simply contact me here please. Thanks, Steve

next meeting at frostburg comunitty center on sept 13, 2012 at 7 p.m.

please attend no matter your opinion, a voice not shared can and will never be counted.